How Hypnotherapy Can Help You Overcome Anxiety
Hypnotherapy can be used to treat a wide array of problems, and anxiety is among them. Millions and millions of people around the world suffer from anxiety to some degree or more/less, so knowing the symptoms and how to treat it can be highly effective to living a healthier and more meaningful lifestyle.
There are many possible causes for anxiety, some of which are genetic or stem from environmental factors or life experience. Generally, symptoms tend to include worry, fear, and/or apprehension towards a situation. In terms of physical symptoms, some may begin to sweat, experience palpitations, or even shortness of breath.
In some cases, anxiety is simply a normal response to a stressful experience, but in extreme cases it can greatly inhibit your ability to get through the day or to participate in activities. There are a myriad of possible triggers for anxiety, such as work or social interactions, public speaking, or perhaps from financial woes. Subsequently, extreme anxiety can negatively affect one’s personal life and interfere with relationships with loved ones, friends, or work colleagues.
Can Hypnotherapy Help with Anxiety?
Yes. Hypnotherapy can be highly effective at treating anxiety, although results are not guaranteed and your own personal circumstances may affect how effective hypnotherapy is at treating the symptoms of anxiety.
A hypnotherapist can treat anxiety by inducing hypnosis and a state of relaxation in the patient, which lets them provide positive suggestions to the patient. In a state of hypnosis, the patient is far less influenced by external stimuli and can be influenced by positive suggestions that essentially ‘rewire’ how the patient reacts to anxiety triggers in the future.
Hypnotherapy Techniques for Anxiety
More specifically, there are many different techniques that a trained hypnotherapist may use to treat anxiety, depending on the type of anxiety and on the individual patient’s circumstances. General anxiety disorder, fears and phobias, and panic disorders can be treated using hypnotherapy.
Some of the techniques that a hypnotherapist may use to treat anxiety include:
- Progressive muscle relaxation: by relaxing different muscles in the body, the patient can experience reduced tension, greater relaxation, and more easily be influenced by positive suggestions.
- Guided imagery: with the use of visual aids, the hypnotherapist can help to soothe and calm the patient, thereby making them feel more relaxed and less prone to experiencing anxiety.
- Cognitive-behavioural therapy: once the patient has been sufficiently induced to a state of hypnosis, the hypnotherapist can begin to analyse the behaviours and thought patterns that trigger anxiety and affect change through positive suggestions.
Benefits of Hypnotherapy for Anxiety
Some of the benefits that can be gained from hypnotherapy for treating anxiety include:
- Improved relaxation: anxiety symptoms can be significantly reduced through techniques that create a feeling of relaxation, both mentally and physically (through reducing muscle tension).
- Fewer anxiety symptoms: some anxiety symptoms such as panic attacks, fears and phobias, or obsessive patterns of thought can be reduced.
- Better self-esteem and confidence: hypnotherapy can reduce anxiety symptoms, which in turn can help patients live a more fulfilling lifestyle and to feel more confident.
- Better sleep: anxiety can lead to interrupted sleep or poor sleeping patterns, so reducing symptoms of anxiety can lead to great improvements to sleeping patterns and reduce fatigue.
How to Choose a Hypnotherapist for Anxiety Treatment
As a highly specialised form of treatment, it’s certainly worth doing a little research before consulting a hypnotherapist. There are many clinics that offer quality hypnotherapy with consistently high-quality results, but you should always ensure that you choose a qualified and experienced clinic in Melbourne.
Melbourne Hypnotherapy Clinic
Consult with Melbourne Hypnotherapy Clinic today.